WAPELLO COUNTY 4-H SPECIAL EVENT
JULY 16TH 2016 – 10 A.M. – 4 P.M. CST (0400Z – 1000Z)
What is 4-H?
4-H is a youth development program with more than 6.5 million young people involved. Not limited to rural communities, 4-H members are from Urban and Suburban communities as well. The 4-H approach to youth development is “Learning by doing”. Kids gain knowledge and new skills through community service projects, completing craft projects (photography, cooking, sewing, welding, etc…) and raising and showing animals.
Wapello County 4-H Expo
There are 10 clubs having a combined 148 kids involved in the Wapello County 4-H program. Every summer during the third week in July we come together for The Wapello County 4-H Expo. For the past 7 years we have held the Expo at the Bridge View Center in Ottumwa giving us the distinction of having the only 4-H Fair in the state of Iowa that is held completely indoors and in air conditioning.
- Festivities start on Monday evening with the opening program and the crowning of the Wapello County Expo Court.
- On Tuesday is the Horse Show.
- Wednesday is a busy day. The members projects are judged. Kids bring in all types of projects including sewing and quilting, bread and cookies, photography, welding, sculpture, woodworking, and gardening … just to name a few. The animals are checked in during the afternoon and evening.
- On Thursday Dog Obedience is judged along with Youth Livestock Judging, followed by the Swine Show. The Ottumwa Municipal Band plays for the evening entertainment.
- The Sheep and Goat show starts the day on Friday. Communication programs including Share the Fun and Educational Programs are judged. The evening entertainment is provided for those smart enough to avoid being drafted for the Barnyard Olympics, by those involved.
- Saturday begins with the Cattle Show and ends with Dog Agility which is always a crowd favorite. In between are the pet show, fashion show, stuffed animal show for the little ones, ribbon auction, and Cow Pie Bingo.
4-H Fair Objectives
For 4-H Youth:
- To provide a setting that encourages 4-H’ers to further demonstrate, learn, and apply practical and university researched methods of production, management, and/or marketing of their 4-H accomplishments
- To assist in the continuing life skill development of 4-H’ers in the areas of self concept, communication, decision making, learning how to learn, coping with change, citizenship, and leadership
- To provide an opportunity for 4-H’ers to measure their progress and skills against individual goals and accepted standards
- To provide an opportunity for 4-H’ers to participate in a variety of program opportunities beyond the county level.
- To provide an opportunity for 4-H’ers to gain personal satisfaction, meet new people, share ideas and learn to work cooperatively with others.
For the Public:
- To create an updated, comprehensive image of Iowa’s 4-H Youth Development program to the public
- To provide a showcase for accomplishments of 4-H’ers
- To stimulate interest and learn new ideas from the variety of 4-H projects and experiences available
Date: July 16th, 2016 Hours: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. cst (0400z – 1000z)
Bands and Modes 20m SSB 14.250 +/- 40m SSB 7.250 +/-
If we have people to work CW, we may switch one or both stations to: 20m CW 14.050 +/- 40m CW 7.050 +/-
Please send Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to:
Paul Cartwright – W4H 8431 215th Ave Blakesburg, IA 52536