Ottumwa Amateur Radio Club
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Members of OARC are active in many aspects of Amateur Radio, including:
- Emergency communications (RACES, ARES, and MARS)
- DX-ing (long distance communications)
- Field Day participation
- Home-brewing (building your equipment and antennas)
- Community service
- Amateur Television Digital Amateur TV (Digital-ATV, DATV, D-ATV) Analog Amateur Television (ATV, SSTV)
- HF/VHF/UHF communications
- Repeater communications
- Satellite communications
- PSK31 communications
- Digital voice communications (D-STAR, WinDRM, etc.)
- PACKET radio and APRS
- Just talking to other HAMs
FCC $35 Amateur Application Fee Effective Date Announced
The FCC released a Public Notice on March 23, 2022, stating that the amateur radio application fees, including those associated with Form 605 application filings, would become effective on April 19, 2022. The Federal Communications Commission’s authority to impose and collect fees is mandated by Congress. The $35 application fee, when it becomes effective on April 19, will apply to new, modification (upgrade and sequential call sign change), renewal, and vanity call sign applications. The fee will be per application. Administrative updates, such as a change of name, mailing or email address, will be exempt from fees. VECs and Volunteer Examiner (VE) teams will not have to collect the $35 fee at exam sessions. Once the FCC application fee takes effect, new and upgrade applicants will pay the $15 exam session fee to the ARRL VE team as usual, and pay the $35 application fee directly to the FCC by using the CORES FRN Registration system (CORES – Login). When the FCC receives the examination information from the VEC, it will email a link with payment instructions to each successful candidate who then will have 10 calendar days from the date of the email to pay. After the fee is paid and the FCC has processed an application, examinees will receive a second email from the FCC with a link to their official license. The link will be good for 30 days. Additionally, the FCC stated that applications processed and dismissed will not be entitled to a refund. This includes vanity requests where the applicant does not receive the requested call sign. The FCC published the notice in the Federal Register on March 23, 2022, stating that the amateur radio application fees, including those associated with Form 605 application filings, would become effective on April 19, 2022.
2M Repeater: WA0DX/R 147.285 + PL: 146.2
70cm DMR Repeater: WA0DX/R 443.200 + CC1
311939 on Brandmeister
Repeater Use Guidelines
• Emergency and public service communications shall have priority over all other communications.
• Give priority to mobile stations: Variations in travel distance, terrain and repeater coverage may make it difficult for mobile stations to hold the repeater.
• Welcome and include newcomers & visitors: Encourage newcomers to Amateur Radio and visiting ham operators to participate in your QSO, round-table, and club activities. The OARC repeater is open to all and repeater use should be encouraged. Please be courteous, friendly and patient.
• Practice good repeater etiquette: Basic repeater etiquette includes pausing prior to transmitting so breaking stations may be heard and the repeater timer can reset.
• FCC Rules / Good conduct: Repeater users are expected to observe applicable FCC rules and established principles of good Amateur Radio practice.
Nets and Meetings
Mondays @ 8:00 p.m. local
147.285 + PL: 146.2
2nd Saturday of each month
Meetings are held at the Ottumwa Public Library in the basement meeting room located at:
102 W 4th St, Ottumwa, IA 52501
VE Test sessions are available each month at our club meetings held the 2nd Saturday of each month. Tests are available to the public.
The FCC now requires that people testing obtain an FCC Registration Number (FCN) prior to a test session. If you are testing for General or Extra, you already have an FCN and need to look it up on the FCC database. Watch these videos to learn how to create an FCN.
If you are interested in testing, please contact Glen (K0JGH) at firstname.lastname@example.org.